The prompt this week for Give Me Five Monday
is: What are five tips or tricks for keeping your house clean and clutter-free? Here are my suggestions:
- Start out with an uncluttered home. To get to this point, you may need to give away or sell items you never or rarely use. If an item isn’t in your home to begin with, you won’t need to dust it, or feel guilty about NOT dusting it! It won’t be taking up space, so your home will be more spacious.
- It’s a good idea to think before you buy new items for your home. Do you really need the item, or will it contribute to clutter?
- Clean as you go. I’m particularly thinking of the kitchen with this suggestion. As you cook, clean up messes and put ingredients away. You won’t be left with a huge mess afterwards. Also, put leftovers away right after the meal, clear the table nicely, and do the dishes.
- Share the wealth. Each member of the home should contribute to the comfort of the home. Children and adults alike can learn to clean up what they mess up. In our home, we decide together on who will handle certain chores. As school or work schedules change, we rethink the responsibilities. Many hands make light work, right?
- Choose one day a week to focus on deeper housecleaning. For our family, that day is Saturday. Some chores do require more time, but if you do those on a regular basis, the job remains manageable.