The prompt this week for Ten on Tuesday
What are ten things that scare you/freak you out?
This is a really interesting prompt to me, because at one point in my life, I was very much a “scared-y cat.” As a child, I was afraid of:
- The monster that lived under my bed. I could jump into bed from quite a distance so it wouldn’t have opportunity to grab me by my ankles.
- The space creatures that could come in through shut windows to pull off my fingernails. A little school mate told me this story, and I believed her. I kept my curtains clothes pinned shut at night, thinking that if the malevolent creatures couldn’t see me, they would be less likely to bother me.
- Any smoke in the sky. My mom said that as a child I was terribly frightened by a TV show about a house fire. I can’t think of any other reason for this fear.
- Of course, I was afraid of the dark. I slept with a little light on in my room.
- Mysterious, unexplainable noises in the nighttime could really get my heart pounding.
- I sometimes had nightmares in which something unknown “tickled” me; I could feel this, and it really bothered me until I could wake up. Sometimes I feared going to sleep for dread of having this dream, or other bad dreams.
- I was (and still am) afraid of heights. I become dizzy and feel as if I’m going to fall over the edge.
- I was afraid of swimming in deep water, though I enjoy that now. I think that was connected with fear of heights. Fear of depths?
- I was afraid to go upside-down, such as occurs in doing a somersault. I eventually overcame this fear, but still retained the sensation of “falling up” into the sky when I would do somersaults.
- I was afraid of dying a bloody, violent death at the hands of a murderer. What a kid I was!
I am thankful to the Lord that He kept me safe throughout my fear-filled childhood, brought me to faith in Him when I was a young adult, and that He continues to care for me in this dangerous world. By His grace, my life is no longer ruled by fear. I rest in Him.
“Casting all your care upon Him; for he careth for you.” – 1 Peter 5:7
“But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.” – Matthew 6:33,34.